Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fleet Foxes

Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes

I was recently turned on to Fleet Foxes by an internet friend when I mentioned how much I’ve been enjoying Band of Horses lately. When I looked up Fleet Foxes on Myspace, which is de rigeur for me when I learn of a new band. I found that they were playing in Salt Lake City the following night and since I really enjoy live music I made plans with my brother-in-law to see the show. I picked up the CD on the way home from work so I could get familiar with their songs.

The first strains you hear as the song Sun It Rises starts are harmonizing vocals that sound like The Beach Boys in a bluegrass band. The rest of the songs have that same basic feel. Some of the songs are very reminiscent of Crosby, Stills and Nash. One of the founding members, Robin Pecknold, has sited CSN as a major influence so it is no surprise to find the same type of soaring melodies and harmonies winding their way through the library of Fleet Foxes.

Phil Ek, who has previously produced The Shins, and Band of Horses, has put his distinctive full, shiny sound all over this freshman release from Fleet Foxes, though he has done this without sacrificing the wonderful organic sound that seems to be Fleet Foxes calling card. This album is right where Pop meets Folk.

I’m giving this album a B- grade. Good but not great. Songwriting is well done and sounds like they will improve.

If you like Band of Horses and Crosby, Stills and Nash, you’ll like this album.

No comments: