Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Top 11 Non-Singles

Like most people I often buy a new album based on a single I've heard on the radio. A ritual I make myself go through with any new album is no going right to that great single but working my way through the album starting with song number one and going to the end. Then, because past experience has taught me this is a good idea, I force myself to listen to the entire album over and over again for the next week. Pretty soon I find some hidden gems. You don't often learn to love the new and undiscovered songs right off. The songs that have a catchy hook are just that catchy and the brain likes them but soon you'll find the hidden gems of an album. Songs that are full of interesting music or some really great lyrics. Just the other day I was listening to Country Roads, by John Denver. I've listened to that song at least 1000 times, if you include the Toots and the Maytals cover. One line really hit me that I've never really paid attention to, "Driving down the road I get the feeling I should have been home yesterday, yesterday." I know exactly what that feels like and I really connected with that song. There are lots of songs like that. It may not be a lyric, which is most common, it may be a really great guitar solo or interesting drum fill, funky baseline, whatever.

So, here are my top 11 Non-Singles, I'll go so far as to say non-talked about since I'm not sure which older songs were singles and which got popular and subsequently received radio airplay later. In no particular order.

Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
The song starts out with some some-what haunting vocal sounds, and a mellow guitar then begins it's slow build. All the time the intensity grows until it's just blowing up in my head. I think the backing vocals from Merry Clayton are what really makes the song. There are a few particularly poignant sections where she takes the lead. Now that I think about it, this song may have been a single, but I'm not counting it as such because it doesn't have near the cache' that the most of the other well known Stones songs have.

Blood - Pearl Jam
The Vs. album came out in 1993, but it took me about 10 years to love Blood. Although the songs as a whole is really great. The single element that really makes the song for me is Mike McCready's distorted wah guitar. The section starting at about :36 in the song gives me goose bumps. I think he's using a phazer effect along with the wah to give the guitar an amazing tone and sound.

Surf Wax America - Weezer
I'd go with "My Name is Jonas" on this except that song has been "talked" about a lot, probably because it's a bit different from other Weezer songs and it's the first song on the album. So in the interest of being different and reaching further into the Blue album I'm going with Surf Wax America. Musically I don't have a really great reason for digging this song. It's a great song and always makes me feel really good. Like there's something else in this world beyond working and making a living. The main reason I'm going with this song is because of a really wicked awesome dream I had once. Allow me to indulge myself while I elaborate.

In my dream I was walking through a local amusement park named Lagoon. Bands used to play there and it was even mentioned on the Beach Boys song, "Salt Lake City." I was walking through a large crowd singing the song "Surf Wax America" but no one was really paying attention to me at first. As I began singing the song where the music stops and Rivers Cuomo is singing solo at a fairly high pitch the crowd opened up and quited down while I sang. My voice rang out, slowly, just like in the song, others in the crowd began joining me in the song until it was one big crowd belting out the song. It was a fantastic dream!

Lovely Rita, Blue Jay Way - The Beatles
I just couldn't decide which song I liked better so, since this is my blog, I'm choosing both. Lovely Rita, mainly because of the lyrics, but the rhythm is very interesting as well. The lyrics paint a really vivid image. I've always wished I could see Lovely Rita as John saw here. The drumming on this song is really great as well. Not that it's especially technical but Ringo really chose a good beat and style for this song.

Blue Jay Way has always been very haunting to me. Probably my favorite George Harrison song in The Beatles catalog. This song also tells a great little story that I came close to living as I searched for the actual Blue Jay Way in the hills above Sunset Strip in L.A. It's an incredibly difficult street to find, even with a map. I can totally understand why George's friends had a hard time finding the house. George's plead of "don't be long, please don't you be long." Brings to mind those tiresome late night hours where you just want to go to bed but for whatever reason you have to stay up a little longer.

When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
On an album with such commercially big songs as Rock and Roll(thank you Cadillac for ruining that song), Black Dog and Stairway to Heaven, When the Levee Breaks has always been my favorite. The opening drum beats really set the tone of the song, then the guitar and wailing harmonica nail it down. The lyrics really paint a picture of despair and hopelessness. I just picture crowds of people down in the muck trying to save themselves and the rains keep falling and the water behind the levee is ever rising, threatening to put them out of their misery at any moment. "Cryin' won't help you, praying won't do you no good." How much worse of a situation can you be in. I'm a sucker for harmonica and the harmonica really fits in well in this song, contributing well to the overall tone.

Mouthful of Cavities - Blind Melon
I've gone on about this song before, but on an album that only really had "Galaxy" played on the radio, I count this as one of the true found gems. I can't think of another song with so many layers that stand out from one another and yet fit together so well. And just like Gimme Shelter from the Stones, this song features a female vocalist that really adds some depth and soul to the song. It builds with incredible intensity and leaves me wanting more when the song ends.

Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix
This song was probably a single when this album came out, but it doesn't get any airtime and most people that are somewhat familiar with Jimi's songs have never heard this song. This is one of those songs that can mellow me out within 5 seconds of opening strum of the guitar. Jimi sings without regard to time or measure while he plays the guitar as a very loose accompaniment to those vocals. Everything tightens up into a more typical song arrangement soon after. Just as you're getting comfortable with the pace of the song, Hendrix turns up the heat with a guitar solo, then another different guitar solo to go along with the psychedelic panning of the drums. John Mayer does a great cover of this song.

Turnaround -Nirvana
I'm not a fan of Devo but I am a big fan of this Devo Cover. Most people are unaware of the Nivana Album "Incesticide." I first bought it when I was 18 and in my Nirvana phase. I listened to other stuff but Nirvana was on regular rotation. Incesticide was a great discovery, Sliver is the only song from this album that ever gets played. There is a harder version of Polly but I've never heard it on the radio. Turnaround has a really great rhythm and vocals that include the word poppycock, which just seems funny to me. I mean who actually uses the word poppycock? I used to pick up my little sister Teresa from junior high after I got off work and we'd use the 20 min drive home as music education. At the time, boy bands and Britney Spears were the big thing and there was no way I was going to let a sister of mine think those were the only music options out there. For some reason "Turnaround" scared her. I'm not sure if it's actually a scary song or if it's because the song says several times "it's pretty scary." Either way, it's a great song that should be on everyone's music rotation.

There Goes My Gun - Pixies
This song is short and sweet at 1:40 long and says such lines as "Yo Ho, Yo Ho!" In fact I think there are a total or four lines in the song. I don't have a whole lot to say about the song except I really dig it. That said, the song is a great addition to "Where is My Mind" and "Here Comes Your Man."

Death Letter - White Stripes
I, like most people, was unaware this album existed until I really got into the White Stripes. I was on a business trip in Spokane Washington and had a 4 hour drive to Wenatchee WA so I stopped by a music store and discovered this album. It was incredible! Particularly the song Death Letter, a song originally written by the blues master Son House. The guitar, the sparse drums, and the lyrics just make this song an incredible trip into the land of the blues. Jack White pulls out all the stops for the guitar solo. Play this song at high volume and that solo will actually tear your head off.

1 comment:

dastew said...

Interesting idea. I have no idea what my non-single top songs would be. Part of the problem is that I don't ever listen to the radio. I'm pretty sure that "If I Ever Leave This World Alive" by Flogging Molly wasn't a single so I'll say that and The Real McKensie's "Loch Lomond" are my favs.