Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Music in 2010

Here are my hopes and dreams for music in 2010, none of these are based on reality, but I hope they come to fruition nonetheless(nonetheless is a weird word made of three separate words, it seems like it should be separated or at least hyphenated). Now I'm wondering if I even used nonetheless correctly, I mean it sounds weird now; I'm going to leave it though because without it these last two sentences don't make sense.

Hope and dream #1, that real rock and roll continues to proliferate and become mainstream again. All the emo kids have moved on to being hipsters are growing long hair and wearing plaid flannel now. They're tearing through decades of fashion at an alarming rate. The 80's resurgence only lasted 4 or 5 years; thankfully. It reminds me of 1990 when glam rock/hair metal was petering out and alternative/grunge was coming into it's own. Bands like Wolfmother, Band of Horses, White Stripes give me hope along with the fact that Pearl Jam has put out two albums in a row that are actually really good.

#2 - A new album from White Stripes. Icky Thump was such a great album with a lot of variety; everything from standard rock formula stuff, to mellow ditties, to tear your head off with intensity blues, and marriachi on speed(Conquest). I'm currently awaiting the DVD documentary: It Might Get Loud, which features Jack White, Jimmie Page and The Edge. It should be pretty rad.

#3- Awesome concerts. I got a tiny Ben Harper fix when I saw him open for Pearl Jam. I'm hoping for a US tour where I get more than 45 minutes from Mr. Harper. I'm holding out hope for a White Stripes concert; haven't seen them yet. An awesome lineup from the Galivan Center concert series. I caught two awesome shows this past summer; Black Keys and Toots and the Maytals. I need to make a bigger effort to get out to some smaller shows this year. I only made it to one last year; Blitzen Trapper. It was a great show at Kilby Court and I was one of 100 people packed into that tiny building. I was about 8 ft. from the stage that was cramped with the 6 piece band and it was awesome!

#4- More from neo-folk bands like Fleet Foxes and Alela Diane. I really dig the vipe they're putting out there and want to hear more. Alela Diane was a surprise opener for Blitzen Trapper and she was just incredible. I still listen to her album regularly, especially when I want something pretty chill. The melody's and lyrics from those two artists/groups are really great. Gimme' more.

#5- A rack stereo system with a turntable. I have a bunch of awesome old records and I'm buying all of my new albums on vinyl. I just need a record player so I can play them and so that I don't get comments from Jen every time I buy a new record, "We don't even have a record player."

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

uh...Ryan, why didn't you tell me you had a Ryans Music Review blog? I've always valued your knowledge of music and good bands. Thank you for allowing me to read about some music I don't even know that exist. You know me...I'll love a lot of music but have no clue about some out there that I need to get my ears to.