Friday, August 14, 2009

Toots and Concerts in General

Salt Lake holds a free twilight concert series at the Gallivan Center downtown. I went to my second show last night, Toots and the Maytals. Toots and the Maytals is a fantastic Reggae group that I've always wanted to see but since they've been around for so long I didn't think I ever would. The show was awesome, Toots was in great form on songs like Sweet and Dandy, Pressure Drop, his cover of Country Roads, and of course 54-46.

The concert last night got me thinking about all of the great shows I've been to, often with Jen's brother Dan, he's a like minded music aficionado. Concerts I've been to in the fairly recent past include:

Toots and the Maytals - See above.

Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals - My fourth Ben Harper show. This concert set the bar for all the rest of the concerts I will ever see. Nothing has topped it yet.

Eric Clapton - How could he be anything less than awesome. He covered Jimi's Little Wing, along with classic Clapton and Cream songs.

Stone Temple Pilots - Big let down. 18 year old Ryan would have loved it as they sounded just like they do on the CD, but it seemed to lack soul and substance.

Blitzen Trapper - Awesome show packed into a tiny space (Kilby Court). A very full 6 piece band, that at times included 3 keyboard players and a child's water bird whistle.

Alela Diane - Opened for Blitzen Trapper and really blew me away. Beautiful vocals, backing vocals and instruments. Her father, aside from being their road manager also plays in the band. He plays a very Neil Young-ish guitar sound, as well as the mandolin.

Black Keys - The only other show I saw at the Gallivan Center. Just knowing the sort of sound they produced on their albums I knew my face would be ripped off with the intensity and they did not disappoint. We were right down in front at this show and the show was not only aurally intense but physically intense as well. We were on the edge of the mosh pit and often found ourselves serving as a barrier to keep small women and girls from getting crushed. This concert is up there with Ben Harper and Eric Clapton.

I have a fear that I'll never get to see the White Stripes in concert. I'm a huge White Stripes fan and with Jack White's various side bands and Meg White's anxiety I'm not sure I'll ever get to see them. I suspect Jack will come back around and make another White Stripes album after he's done with the "Dead Weather" tour, though if they do tour I doubt Utah will be on the list of dates so Dan and I are going to have to put together a road trip.

I'm just a huge fan of live music. I thoroughly enjoy Nashville even though I'm not really a fan of country music. The artists and musicians just lend so much spirit to the music that it's a lot of fun to watch. Take the time to go to a bluegrass concert if you've never been, just amazing to take it all in. I've made a point to go to as many concerts as I can. I really didn't go much in my youth; Neil Diamond, INXS, and Van Halen were the only shows I saw before I was 24. There is so much great music being made currently that there is always a good concert coming up.

No comments: